Sunday, October 08, 2006

Weekend knitting; aka red sockarama

On Saturday morning I turned the heel on the basket rib socks. I did a short-row heel with a size 1 needle. I've been pondering frogging the heel and making the leg an inch or two longer. But then I think they're tight enough that they shouldn't be any taller. I do have to spend a lot of time thinking about these things.

So while contemplating the fate of the basket rib socks, I started on another pair of red socks. They're knit with red Color4me and firey Big Print. Because they're knit on larger needles, they knit up faster. These are for #1Son, who likes to be warm and therefore likes wool socks. He just keeps growing out of them! His blue ribbon socks can still be worn, but the heel is curving down under where it shouldn't be. His tiger socks has moved on to his sister. Because he appreciates handmade socks so well, I thought I'd get busy and crank him out a pair or two. The weekend afforded me plenty of knitting time, even while doing homework. I knit the toes and under the ball of his foot in size 3, and the rest in size 4. I'm using my own usual toe-up methods, with a provisional cast on and a short-row toe, and then a cable pattern that I got from Sensational Knitted Socks, a 5-stitch yarn-over cable. I'm pleased with it.

I started with a remnant ball of the red, and as I knit the second sock's toe, I was watching that skein get smaller and smaller. I finished the red toe with about 40" of red yarn remaining!

No comments: