Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Nomenclature Rant

I enjoy working in Technical Services, and like that there is a good strong mythology that has evolved about those in technical services. At residencies, I room with fellow cataloguers and we have a total blast. But I'm feeling very frustrated about the name today.

Our office says "Technical Services" on the door. Library patrons see this and the word "technical" makes them think computer, so they come in for computer help. I'm quite competent with computers, but no I don't know why your network connection has slowed to a crawl nor can I fix your forgotten password. It's a shame, it's not like I can blame the patrons for the misunderstanding. They really need IT, not TS. Neither do I see any good chance of changing the entrenched name of technical services. I just wish I could avoid the misunderstanding. It goes against the librarian in me to turn people away, but I really can't help them and they really should be able to walk their buns down one flight of steps to the people who can help them. We even have an elevator if they need it.

No comments: