Wednesday, October 18, 2006

me and jake

I was about to shut down the computer for the night, and down comes my dear Mr. Man to say good night to me. He's been playing with his CDs all night, and some how after saying goodnight, he wound up looking at his cassettes, and then he was sticking one in, and it was "me and jake", their cassette "Pine", recorded in 1992. And I grab my knitting, tonight it was the baby hat for my incoming grand neice, and sat there listening. We can both just listen, the whole cassette just listening. And reminiscing. We were both in the studio, and neither of us felt that the cassette sounded nearly as good as the songs when they were recorded. So we analyzed the quality of the sound. And the overall fabulousness of many of the songs. How great they sounded, and where are they both now? Remember when we had a me and jake sho in our back yard? How many people came to that, anyway? He started wondering if that producer still has his studio over near Trolley Square, if the masters for me and jake are still out there, if CDs could be made. But then he hasn't done what he needs to do to get his band from 1982 on CD.

I'm bouncing from project to project. I'd like to finish this little hat and mail it off, I think there's a baby shower soon. I think that when I was as young as that new-mother-to-be, I thought all hand-knitted objects were tacky and hideous, and I question whether this stranger will appreciate the hand-knitted hat from an unknown great aunt. Great Aunt sounds so old and stodgy! But her baby's only 8 years younger than mine. I picked out some really cool yarn, but it knits up messier than it looked on the ball. I can't explain why, but I look at the ball, and it looks all great, and then in the hat, and it's just a mess. Still, it might be cute, I'm often hyper-critical of my own work, going back to my days as a professional seamstress.

I came home from work today, sick, and slept for two hours mid-afternoon. I awoke from a dream of an incredibly cute (like, think neopets-cute) wild fox loose in my parents' house, harrassing my father's dog. I physically woke myself up to go get the camera, and as I stumbled off on sleep-drunk legs, I slowly began to process the fact that there was no fox, I wasn't at my parents' house, and I didn't need the camera.

There, I ran off and took a picture, to see if I could demonstrate how the hat looks messier than the skein. Huh. I may just be nit-pickity.

No comments: