Thursday, December 27, 2007

Little Sock Uno

I have seen Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters on many knitter's post-Christmas blog report. I actually received this pre-Christmas, slid it in on top of some holiday shopping. I find it a very stimulating and exciting book. I've been fired up to knit some of these socks, but naturally I need to finish up the holiday knitting. Like the alpaca mittens.

However, there were some pre-Christmas events when I couldn't knit on the gift knitting for fear of spoiling a surprise. That's when I started on the little learning socks. I first used the leftovers from the cranberry hat.



My initial reaction to knitting these patterns? I love it! Her heel is awesome. It incorporates a classic knitted heel, but there is no picking up gusset stitches. Let me say that again. No Picking Up Gusset Stitches. Not only do I dislike picking up gusset stitches, but I'm not happy with the results. My fabulous Lithuanian socks wear so comfortably, but have a huge row of gaps along the gussets. Next up I need to make some adult sized, so I can see how the feel in everyday wearing situations.

Turns out the leftovers were only enough to make one sock. That's okay. I learned a lot in the making, and I was certain a use could be found for a singular baby sock. Indeed, it is so! My daughter is babysitting Molly, who sustained grevious injuries in a fall last week, while Molly's mistress is out of town. The sock is perfect for a little patient with one leg in a cast.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

Cute sock - and no picking up gusset stitches sounds good! This makes me want to play with my copy of the book. I just think I need to get a little more experience with more conventional socks before I tackle the new pathways.