Sunday, December 09, 2007

Cranberry Cable Hat

 

Finished Object!
Yarn: Laines du Nord's Dolly Maxi 100% Superwash Merino, 3 skeins!
Needle: Addi Turbo Size 9 16" circular needle
Pattern: No pattern. My mother told me that my dad has a very large head, and that his hats measure 23". I swatched quite a bit while plotting this hat. I finally decided that to make a hat in the pattern I wanted, making it measure 23" around at resting size would probably be too huge. This pattern is supposed to stretch. So at rest, it measures 16-18", but it still looks lovely stretched out to 28". I knit 2x2 rib for 4 inches, and then a repeated 12 stitch pattern of k2, p2, cable 6 (3x3), p2. I did an 8-row pattern, cabling on the sixth row. After 5 cable-sequence repeats, I switched to total knit stitch, and decreased with a k2tog on the first k stitch of each rib. I alternated decrease rows with knit rows for the first 6 decrease rows, then decreased every single row until I had 5 stitches on the needle. It is big, and long too. I made the brim extra long so he could fold it over once or twice.
Started Dec 7
Finished Dec 9 (But I haven't woven in the ends yet)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: