Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bellatrixies

skulls5


It is a strange but true fact that we humans have the capability to forget pain. Take the classic, obvious example... I have not 1 but 2 kids. The same principle is at work with regards to my Crystal Palace bamboo size 2 circulars. If I did not forget how painful they are to use, I would never ever actually use them. It happened again, just last night, that I used them. I first swatched with my Knit Picks size 2, which are a robust 3.0mm, just like the Addi Turbo size 2 circulars. It was just minutely over size. I just wanted a plain size 2, or 2.75mm. My bamboo circular is the only circular I have in the 2.75 size, so I cast on with them.

Ow ow ow ow ow. I am a very tight knitter, and on the bamboo, my tight stitches stick. A lot. And the transition from cable to needle is very clunky, and requires a great deal of pushing, tugging, and wrestling. I struggled with this all last evening and again today, working until my left thumb and finger were raw and near bleeding. At that point, I gave up and switched needle mid-project. I couldn't take it anymore. I switched to the Knitpicks, which meant going up a whole .25mm. Wow, what a difference! The stitches just sliiiiide onto the needles with no trouble whatsoever.

I may have to throw out the Crystal Palace needle, I don't know that I ever want to make that mistake again.

Now let me take this opportunity to introduce... Bellatrix.



Bellatrix made from Skinny Duet Sock Yarn in the colourway Wicked. A match made in creepy dark corners, I tell you.

No comments: