Thursday, February 18, 2010

About a favourite author

Last year, I saw an ad on Unshelved for the book Lament by Maggie Stiefvater. The ad was simple, but I was intrigued, and I put a hold on it at the library, even though there was a short wait.

The book arrived, but my husband picked it up and stuck it on the shelf, and I didn't notice it until its due date. Then I had to put ANOTHER hold on it, and wait another several weeks. When it finally arrived again, I read it in one day. I was entranced by the beautiful prose. Stiefvater's world of faerie was to Disney's Tinkerbell like a really excellent piquante salsa is to marshmallows. I knew it was her first book, and was bummed that there weren't more books by her to read.

And then I didn't think much of Ms. Stiefvater again until I read this review. I already was a fan of the author, and the new book, Shiver, needed to be read and needed to be read NOW. Unfortunately, the number of holds at the library meant that I didn't think I'd get to read that book in 2009, so I bought the book on my husband's Kindle. Totally worth it!

Then I discovered that there are going to be sequels to both her books. I read (and loved)Ballad in the fall when it was released, and have been impatiently awaiting Shiver's sequel, Lament, this coming summer.

Now we get to the point of this post. Maggie Stiefvater is giving away some copies of Lament. To enter, I get to copy/paste/share the following info with you. Here's where I stop talking, and let her take over:

Linger Cover LargeIn Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.


Comes out in stores everywhere July 20th. Pre-order here.

Enter to win an advanced review copies of LINGER, Sisters Red, The Dead-Tossed Waves, and The Replacement on Maggie's blog.

No comments: