Friday, July 03, 2009

Guernsey Literary and Sock Society

When I first posted that I was knitting the St. Peter Port Socks, Priscilla (a fellow librarian, yay!) left me a kind note about the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society . She said the book made St. Peter Port feel familiar to her, and the idea of having some context for the name of these socks definitely appealed to me.



The bad news: I put a hold on the book at the city library, but I was the 63rd in line. At the county, the hold list was up to the hundreds.

The good news: I just happen to purchase books for a small academic library. And since this book was on the best sellers list, I was able to order the book for our popular reading collection.

The bad news: When the book came in, I neglected to put a note on it when I sent it for processing. So some one else grabbed it off the book cart before I was able to check it out.

The good news: The city library has enough copies that the queue moved quickly and I was able to get the book a couple weeks ago. Thanks, Priscilla, I loved it!

I had envisioned enjoying the book while knitting the St. Peter Port Socks, but I just picked up the book one evening, and finished it the next day. No joint reading and knitting. The first sock is approaching the toe region, but it's been moving slowly. The summer is presenting a lot of obstacles to knitting time.


I do adore the b&w yarns together. It's a stunner for sure.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! And you are right - the socks are stunning. I can't wait to see them finished.

It's funny. We were talking about that book at work this week. We still have quite a hold list on it, too, and the teen librarian (who hasn't read it yet) wondered if it really was that good. (It often seems that the really popular books aren't all that well written.) She was very surprised when I said yes, it is that good, very emphatically. I would really like to use it for a book discussion some day, once it is off holds.