Sunday, January 09, 2011

The weekends are for turning heels

I have been turning heels this weekend. Two heels have been successfully turned, the third will hopefully be completed tonight.


The browns socks are for my husband. I did the classic knitter gifting stunt where I gave him the skeins of yarn, and a promise to make them into socks soon. The yarn is Vivace by Sweet Paprika in the colourway Cinnamon Bark. I ordered this yarn on the 21st of Dec from the Loopy Ewe and it arrived--amazingly--on the 23rd.


The green yarn also came from Loopy in that same order. It is Bugga! in the colourway Juniper Hairstreak. The pattern is Aragorn. I have long toyed with creating a pattern where the cables twined down the front of the sock and then split in the middle for Bordhi-style sky-sock increases. This pattern did all the designing work for me.


I've been using the Hiya Hiya 9" circulars for this sock. While the tiny needles take some getting used to, I find the knitting quite flies once I've adjusted.  The needles are appropriate for the leg because the pattern controls the number of rows on the leg.  Now that the heel is turned, I will be putting the sock onto a holder until I've knit the second sock to the same point. Then I will knit the feet together on a large circular, in order to ensure both feet are the same length.

No comments: