Sunday, May 03, 2009

Short on the shorties

On Saturday morning, I awoke thinking of knitting. I think this happens on the weekends because I have the luxury of waking up slowly. Instead of being yanked from a deep sleep directly into the morning's preparatory activities, I can lie there for a bit. And naturally, my thoughts turn to yarn.

On the day I dyed the volcano pants, I also dyed the leftover blank yarn in the sink. The results didn't look like I expected, and I was disappointed. I balled up the yarn and forgot about it. Now, almost 3 months later, I can look at the yarn and see it for what it is, rather than for what it is not. There were exactly 40 grams of it, so I decided to combine it with some green Cascade and make some shorties. I did a descending pattern of 6 rows colour A, 6 rows colour B, 5 rows colour A, 5 rows colour B, etc. I had the pattern pretty well calculated, but I forgot to take into account the extra yarn the short rows use up.

The following picture shows exactly where I ran out of yarn. I was on the final row of the pattern, the part where there was one row of each colour. I ran out of yarn 26 stitches shy of finishing the last row. Sigh.


No comments: