Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Doomed Socks


I had a last minute knitting emergency. I have misplaced a set of Comfort Zone needles, and those needles were essential to my planned travel project. I had wanted to do this project, but saved it just for my trip. And when I couldn't find those needles, it totally befuddled me. What to knit on the plane?? I went stash-diving and came up with some Knit Picks yarn, and launched on a 2-colour project. I'm sad to report that I'm entirely unhappy with it. My designs might look better on a bigger scale, but at that scale, they just look spotty. I've come up with a better use for the yarn so this is the last glimpse of this project before Senor Frog takes it away.

The day I flew out, the book Dirty Job crossed my desk. This is not unusual, hundreds of books cross my desk every week. I open many of them and breeze through, if I'm not too strapped for time. (Or even if I am.) I started reading the first chapter of a Dirty Job, and it was pretty funny. So I stuck it in the pile to be catalogued next so I could bring it along. It turns out my flight to Seattle was delayed by hours, so I sat in my home airport for most of the evening, reading and knitting on the soon-to-be-doomed socks. My mother would never enjoy this book, and it's full of the f-word, so if that bothers you, run away! run away! One of the reviews on the back referred to Christopher Moore as an "unhinged Hiaasen" which totally cracked me up. I've read Sick Puppy, it's hard to get more unhinged than Hiaasen! Dirty Job is a smart-assed, funny, and crass. It was a perfect trip-book, and I recommend it, if you're not the type who gets offended. This is the quote I read to my roomie, who has dogs.
It is generally agreed, and in fact stated in the bylaws of the American Kennel Club, that you have not been truly dog-humped until you have been double-dog-humped by a pair of four-hundred-pound hounds from hell (Section 5, paragraph 7: Standards of Humping and Ass-dragging.)

No comments: