Sunday, October 09, 2011

On accuracy

In 2008, I purchased a new scale, and was very pleased with it. Even at the time, we acknowledged that it was a little light on accuracy, but it did the trick.

Enough time has passed that I can now replace it with one that has increased accuracy.

Exhibit A:

On the left, a stuffed puff weighs 3 grams. I weighed a small ball of yarn and also got three grams, and therefore thought I might be able to get a full puff out of it. I could not.


Exhibit B:

The old scale's range of accuracy is revealed. Items weighing both 2.3 g and 3.5 g both were assessed at 3g. Elementary math students would recognize that as very sloppy rounding.


The scale is tiny, but it does the trick.




Maybe in another 3 years, I'll buy with with accuracy to two decimal points?

No comments: