Not too long ago, I started knitting up my worsted gothlings in Ember, using the Miller's Hat pattern. The pattern suggests a size 6 needle, with a recommended gauge of 20 stitches to 4 inches in herringbone stitch. I just started up the hat as a swatch, which allowed me the luxury of already having progress made, if the gauge was correct, or I would have to start over anyway, if the gauge was wrong. Well, the gauge was way off. In a size 6 needle, I was getting 20 stitches to only 3.25 inches. I went up 2 needle sizes and started over. My gauge is still small, more like 20 stitches measuring 3.5 inches, or sometimes 3.75. I'm not willing to go up any more sizes. The cable part of the hat is to be knit on one needle size larger, and I'm not willing to knit this yarn on a 9/10 combination, which would be too loose for this weight of yarn.
The herringbone stitch is tricky, because it involves floats, which tighten up the gauge, but I pay careful attention to those floats to make sure they aren't too tight. That's what makes the knitting so tedious. I have 8 more rows of this stitch, and I am quite looking forward to being done, so I can move onto the fun part.
The picture shows the size 6 version above, and the size 8 version below. I do think it'll be very pretty when done!