Tuesday, June 22, 2010

FOOD--Italian-style tofu on rice

Last night I wanted to make marinated tofu to serve over wild rice, but I didn't have time to marinate for an hour. Instead I started to make sauteed tofu, but it turned out so saucey that it wound up being stewed instead. The recipe was loosely adapted from the Italian Marinated Tofu in Vegan with a Vengeance, and it turned out yummy.



Italian-style Tofu

1 lb tofu
8 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP Bragg's Aminos
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped

Drain tofu and press while preparing the sauce.  Heat the oil over medium-high in a saucepan and add the garlic. Stir and cook just until sizzling. Add rest of ingredients, and stir together until well incorperated.  Dice and add the tofu. Simmer until the tofu takes on the flavour of the sauce, about ten minutes.  Serve over rice.

Notes.  All measurements are approximate, I just poured stuff in. I would have preferred fresh Italian spices, like basil, oregano, and thyme, but my garden isn't thriving well enough yet to provide.

No comments: