Sunday, March 22, 2009

Knitting with a View

We had a road trip, and once again, I worked on a project from Knitting on the Road. I started another Hiiumaa sock using the bamboo double points I received for free with my Fearless Fibers order.

I don't mind venturing into the land of double points every so often, but this time I decided I didn't really want to pick up stitches along the heel, so I adapted the pattern to use a Bordhi-style heel. I duplicated the original sock the best I could, placing the increases to create a faux heel flap. I did not use the partridge heel stitch because it looked terrible with the stripes. I knitted with both strands on the heelwork to make the heel extra strong. I love how that finished heel feels.



Unfortunately, I compared the sock to another Hiiumaa, and discovered that my best efforts to duplicate the heel had failed. The heel adds a good inch or more to the length of the sock, and it affects the fit of the cuff. Maybe if I'd used the partridge heel stitch it would have been comparable? Sadly, I'll be tearing out this heel and starting over.



The two-strand knitting, well the purling actually, takes forever, and I'm not sure when I'll bother to do it. Maybe next road trip.

No comments: